Hungarian Garden Fresh String Green Bean Soup with Spoon Noodles

This is a tried and true homemade Hungarian Green Bean Soup recipe made from fresh string beans and served with spoon noodles. I've only made this summer soup from green beans, but imagine it would taste just as delicious with yellow wax beans.

Early in the morning one day last week I stopped at a local farm stand to pick up some fresh blueberries for the grandchildren on the way to my daughter's new home in Petticoat Junction as we were going to go on a camping trip.

As I surveyed all the freshly picked veggies that were on display I had in mind to make the recipe for fried green beans casserole that I make using French's Onion Rings. Then I remembered the Hungarian Green Bean Soup recipe that I hadn't made it in quite some time, and thought I'd introduce it to my charming son-in-law.

Hungarian Garden Fresh String Green Bean Soup with Spoon Noodles



This summer I'm trying the soup recipe with these magnificent Long Beans or sometimes called Pole Beans from our local farm stand,  "Big Mouse Farm"

Pole Beans

This is an easy recipe for a light supper on a summer night - serve with croutons or French bread and a salad. This summer soup recipe is also a great way to get the kids or grandkids to eat their vegetables!

Hungarian Green Bean Soup Recipe




This original Hungarian String Bean Soup recipe was given to me by my next-door neighbor. She and I both had joined the Junior Woman's Club in town when we were young moms and worked together on the fundraising committee publish a local cookbook of favorite recipes from the Club's members.
Green Bean Soup Recipe with Spoon Noodles

Check out my other vegetable soup recipes, many are Mediterranean Diet friendly - 

Easy clean up with my crochet Handmade Kitchen Dish Cloths from Moomettes Crochet Shop !

Handmade Kitchen Dish Cloths



Green Bean String Bean Soup Recipe

*Soup*
3 c. green beans (preferably fresh)
1 Tbl. shortening (butter, EVOO, your choice, but use more EVOO if that's your preference)
2-3 Tbl. flour (I used King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour)
1 Tbl. parsley, chopped
salt and pepper, Paprika, to taste

*Spoon Noodles*
1 egg
salt
flour (I used King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour, but you can use white flour also)

Cut beans into one-half inch pieces
Boil in 1-1/2 quarters water and 1/2 tsp. salt for one-half hour (Use a 3 quarter pot or larger)
Melt 1 Tbl. shortening in a small skillet
Add about 2-3 Tbl. flour, 1 Tbl. chopped parsley and a few shakes of pepper (This makes a mixture called a "Roux")
This should make a mixture slightly thicker than gravy.
Pour about one cup or so of the bean liquid into the skillet, stirring constantly.
Pour that mixture back into the rest of the bean liquid.
This makes the soup, but the complete recipe calls for the homemade "Spoon Noodles."

*Noodles:*
Mix 1 egg, dash of salt and flour (enough for a slightly stiff batter.)
Using the edge of a soup or tablespoon, form long slender noodles and drop into the soup which has been brought to a boil.
Boil 10 minutes and lower to simmer until ready to serve.

Like my Recipes?  Buy me a Bag of Flour


© Frugal New England Kitchen