Buttermilk Irish Soda Bread | Homemade Bread Recipe

Irish Soda Bread is just the right comfort food any time of year! Not just for spring St. Patrick's Day holiday celebrations, enjoy it fresh out of the oven on cool, crisp fall days, or bake up a batch on a winter snowy morning! Easy to make in multiple batches, this traditional family favorite homemade Buttermilk Irish Soda bread recipe is made with Buttermilk to give it a rich taste and texture.

Buttermilk Irish Soda Bread

Buttermilk Irish Soda Bread Recipe



My husband's family is Irish and my mother-in-law taught me how to make Irish Soda Bread from scratch. While there are many Irish soda bread buttermilk recipes out there that can be made in a breadmaker, this one is so easy I prefer to knead it myself eat straight out of the oven! Since it makes three loaves, give one to family or friends! This traditional Irish Soda Bread recipe was shared with me by a co-worker quite some years ago.  Serve it with your favorite Saint Patrick's Day food or beverage of choice!

If you have a bread machine, you might want to celebrate with this Breadmaker Irish Soda Bread recipe

Simple Irish Bread Recipe


Top o the 'Morning to You!

Easy clean-up with my crochet cotton handmade dish cloths from my Moomettes Crochet shop!

Handmade Green Cotton Dish Cloths


Be sure to check out my recipe for Breadmaker Irish Soda Bread too!

Buttermilk Irish Soda Bread


9     c. all purpose flour
3 1/3     c. sugar
1 tbl salt
1 tbl baking soda
2 tbl baking powder
2 tbl caraway seeds
2     c. raisins (or currants)
6     eggs
1     c. melted butter or vegetable shortening
2     c. sour cream
1     c. buttermilk

Mix or sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and caraway seeds.  Stir in raisins.

In a second bowl with a wire whisk, beat together eggs, lard, sour cream and buttermilk.

Combine the two mixtures, stirring just until moistened; do not over mix.  Turn dough into three greased loaf pans.  Bake at 350° about 1 hour.  Makes 3 loaves

Happy Baking!

Like my Recipes?  Buy me a Bag of Flour


© Frugal New England Kitchen 


Copy Me That