Easy Sourdough Bread Recipes for Beginners | Homemade Bread

 Have you jumped on the Sourdough Bread craze?  It began during the Pandemic era, but has actually taken off as a frugal alternative to the crazy increase in food prices, and is healthier for you too!  Here's some ideas to get you started on making homemade Sourdough Bread for beginners.


Sourdough Bread


How to Make Homemade Sourdough Bread 

50/50 Sourdough Bread White Whole Wheat

50/50 Sourdough Bread Recipe White Whole Wheat

This was one of the first loaves I made.  It's made from King Arthur Bread flour.  I used a 50/50 blend of Unbleached White Bread Flour and Whole Wheat Flour.

Rustic Artisan Sourdough Bread

These rustic artisan Sourdough Bread boules are also great as they can be made in different sizes, and work out well when hollowed out for soup bread bowls.


Rye Sourdough Bread

Rye Bread Sourdough Recipe

This is a Rye Sourdough Bread.  It's a little denser than a White Sourdough Bread. I have to look around for an easier version, as this is harder to make than a traditional Sourdough Bread.

I've also made discard Sourdough recipes, for Apple Cake, English Muffins and Sandwich Bread loaves. Actually, I haven't bought bread since October.  I'm trying to be more frugal in the kitchen, save some money, and eat healthier without all of the added preservatives and chemicals that are in the foods today. It's amazing what you will be able to produce for your family with a little flour, salt, water and a bit of your time.

Many years ago, I had a San Francisco original Sourdough Starter, but things happened, I got busy with life.  Now I decided to try again.  It's actually not that hard.  Rather than make my own starter, I purchased a few, one from King Arthur Flour already established, and another from Ron Tressler. 

I joined a few Sourdough Facebook groups and searched YouTube for recipes and blog recommendations. These sites will get you started.




Easy cleanup in the kitchen with Handmade Cotton Dish Cloths from Moomettes Crochet

Handmade Yellow Cotton Dish Cloths



I will make other posts of my Bakes to show you my other creations. You really don't need a lot of the bells and whistles, or fancy tools to get started.  A scale though is recommended and more accurate for good results.  Many items you will have in your own kitchen, or could get at a Dollar store. 

Good Luck on your own Sourdough journey!

Happy Baking!

Like my Recipes?  Buy me a Bag of Flour


© Frugal New England Kitchen