Shrimp Louisiana Gumbo Recipe Over Rice Recipe

Just because I’m from New England doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy regional recipes from other parts of the US.  Some of  my family's favorite dishes are Cajun. I’d like to share my cousin’s favorite rendition of Shrimp Gumbo!  It’s an easy and quick dish to make ahead, and using Brown Rice or Wild Rice turns it into not only a classic, but a healthy classic dish!

Shrimp Gumbo



Traditional Gumbo purists may find that this adaptation of a regional favorite may differ, but this adapted version is easy and sure hits the spot !  Perfect for any seafood lover. 

Check out my recipe for Scallops with Glazed Garlic Champagne Sauce

Shrimp or Prawn Recipes


Shrimp Gumbo Recipe


In our neck of the woods in New England, we have an abundance of Italian Pasta and Greek restaurants.  Several years ago a small, family owned restaurant opened that specialized in traditional Cajun dishes.  On nights when I didn’t feel like cooking, since I’m part French-Canadian we’d go and enjoy Shrimp and Chicken Jambalaya, a Creole and Cajun favorite in New Orleans.





Shrimp Gumbo

 
1 c. chopped onion
3/4 c. chopped green pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbl.. butter
1 lb. raw peeled shrimp or prawns
1 can cream of mushroom soup
3 c. cooked rice
1 tsp. chopped parsley
1 -1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 -1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper, to taste
2 slices day-old bread
1/2 c. milk
paprika (to taste)
Brown or Wild Rice

Saute onion, green pepper and garlic in butter until tender.
Add shrimp, continue to cook 3 minutes longer.
Stir in soup, rice, parsley, lemon juice and seasonings.
Add bread which has been soaked in milk. Mix well.
Spoon into a 2 quart buttered casserole.
Sprinkle with paprika.
Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes.

Serve over Brown or Wild Rice

Like my Recipes?  Buy me a Bag of Flour


© Frugal New England Kitchen