Louisiana Beef Stew | Crockpot Beef Stew | Church Supper Recipe

Here's an interesting stew recipe featuring molasses, raisins, and a hint of ginger. Make this Crockpot Beef Stew for a busy weeknight supper, or simmer on the back burner for Sunday supper.


Hearty Crockpot Beef Stew Recipe


Old Fashioned Beef Stew


We like to use plenty of molasses when baking here in New England. Traditionally molasses are used in cookie recipes. We also like to think we make the best beef stew.

I know many people are using an Instapot to cook meals, but I prefer to stick with my trusty Crockpot, and I've had many over the years! My mom and aunts used to use a pressure cooker, but my comfort zone is with a slow cooker.

However, Mardis Gras is coming up, and rather than a seafood stew or gumbo, try this old fashioned beef stew recipe version with a side of homemade dumplings or biscuits.

You can get a faster start on this beef stew recipe by using some freezer cooking tips. I just got a Food Saver sealing bag machine, which is perfect for freezer meal prep. 

If cooking in a dutch oven casserole dish, cook for 2 hours.

Crockpot Beef Stew Recipe

Try some of my other easy Crockpot meals and desserts - 
Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore 
Crockpot Molton Lava Pudding Cake

Serve with Crockpot Bread Pudding and hard sauce for dessert.

Clean up your kitchen with my crochet handmade Dish Cloths from my Moomettes Crochet shop!

Handmade Cotton Dish Cloths

Crockpot Beef Stew


3 Tbl. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. ginger
3 lbs. beef chuck, cut in 2" cubes
2 Tbl. cooking oil
1 16-oz. can tomatoes
3 medium onions, sliced
1/3 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. molasses
1/2 c. water
6-8 carrots, cut on diagonal
1/2 c. raisins

Combine first 6 ingredients and sprinkle over beef cubes.
Brown beef in hot oil.
Remove to crockpot or slow cooker and add tomatoes, onions, carrots, vinegar, molasses and water.
Cook on low about 4 hours.
Add raisins and simmer about 30 minutes longer.

Like my Recipes?  Buy me a Bag of Flour


© Frugal New England Kitchen 



Copy Me That




photo credit: Back to the Cutting Board via photopin cc


Adapted from: Yankee's Main Dish Church Supper Cookbook