Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe | Ice Cream Maker | Homemade Ice Cream

Here's the Scoop! Set aside a family night on a budget to make homemade chocolate ice cream recipe Cuisinart style. Invite grandparents to come over and talk about the "old days".

Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe


Awhile back I purchased a Cuisinart Ice 21 Ice Cream Maker.

When I was a kid, ice cream was made using a hand cranked freezer, or rolling it around in a barrel full of ice in the yard! If your parents don't live close, think about inviting an older couple or person from your neighborhood. They will enjoy it and so will your children!

Cuisinart Ice 21 Ice Cream Maker - Frozen Yogurt & Sorbet Maker


I think this is one of the best ice cream makers for a fancy electric small kitchen appliance! The ice cream maker is easy to use, and has a strong motor that freezes the ice cream mixture base within 15 to 20 minutes.

Features Include:

  • Easy-lock lid with wide ingredient spout

  • Mixing Paddle that mixes and churns automatically

  • Double-Insulated freezer bowl that freezes ingredients evenly

  • Heavy-Duty Motor that makes up to 1-1/2 quarts in 20 minutes or less

  • Compact Design featuring a built-in cord storage

The Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker comes with it's own recipe book.  You have to plan ahead, and keep the bowl in the freezer for about 24 hours before making your ice cream.

I chose to make homemade Simple Chocolate Ice Cream Cuisinart recipe.  Unlike store-bought ice cream, this is extremely rich with a nice texture.  The addition of a pinch of salt always brings out the chocolate flavor when using real cocoa powder.

Even though my family can get ice cream on sale at Aldi for about $2.59 per container, I find that the extra money I might be spending on real cream, whole milk and Dutch Chocolate cocoa powder is worth the flavor.  Plus, I know what's going into my ice cream!  There's no corn syrup in the recipes I used. Also, if I can't pronounce the ingredients, such as carrageenan, then maybe I don't want to serve it to my grandchildren!

Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker Ice-21

Of course, being from New England, my family has always been a big fan of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, which we do enjoy.  My charming son-in-law is from Vermont, and while on vacation, the grandkids and I went on the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory Tour in Waterbury, Vermont. If you're planning a New England vacation, put this fun tour on your day trip agenda!

I ordered their Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book.  I'm going to be trying out ice cream recipes from both the Cuisinart and Ben & Jerry's Homemade cookbooks along with recipes I find on Pinterest.

I'll be making not only old favorites such as Old Fashioned Vanilla, Rhubarb Ice Cream or Fresh Strawberry ice cream, but we can't wait to try Heath Bar Crunch, New York Super Fudge Chunk and come Fall, some Pumpkin Ice Cream.

I'd really like to try to duplicate my personal Ben & Jerry's favorite, White Russian, which has been retired to the Graveyard of Flavors!

The Cuisinart Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker ICE-21 would make a great gift for mom, grandmother, or even dad or grandfather for Father's Day!

I'm sure you get the idea by now. What you do on family night may not be as important as just doing it! Keep it simple and fun!

Good character, like good ice cream, is usually homemade! For anyone dieting, be sure to check out my diet-friendly recipe for no-bake Cool Whip Peanut Butter Frozen Treats

Also try my Dash Mug ice cream recipes single serving size using Half and Half 





Easy kitchen clean-up with my handmade crochet Dish Cloths from my Moomettes Crochet shop !

Handmade Cotton Dish Cloths

Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe 

3/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
pinch salt
1 cup whole milk
1 cups heavy cream
1/2 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugars and salt. Add the milk and using a hand mixer on low speed or a whisk, beat to combine until the cocoa, sugars and salt are dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.
Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, or overnight.
Follow your ice cream maker's directions for freezing.

Like my Recipes?  Buy me a Bag of Flour


© Frugal New England Kitchen 


Source: Cuisinart Recipe Booklet


Personal Review. Opinions are my own.