New England Shepards Pie Recipe | Irish Shepards Pie

The ultimate food testers in the family are my husband and son-in-law. Today I'm going to show you how to make a New England Shepards Pie. This one pot casserole dish is one of my charming son-in-law's favorite recipes that he always asks me to make.


New England Shepard Pie Recipe with Stout

New England Shepard Pie One Pot Casserole


Living in New England all my life, I'm pretty used to being holed up in the house whenever we have blizzards. Since I like to cook, it's the perfect opportunity to try out new recipes on the family and fill the house with delightful aromas wafing from the kitchen!

The kitchen is where this frugal grandmom spends most of her time, and I decided it was time to redecorate and update the kitchen. As I spend a lot of time on Pinterest searching for interesting recipes and craft ideas to keep the grandkids entertained whenever I babysit, I also like to pin photos of DIY home handyman kitchen and household tips.

Shepard Pie is traditionally made with lamb, however, when it's made with beef chunks or ground beef, it's known as Cottage Pie. It's a frugal way to use up leftover beef if you cube it, ground meat you purchase in bulk, leftover vegetable such as peas, carrots, or mashed potatoes for the topping.  The seasoning can be your choice.

Charming son-in-law, my favorite handyman, recently installed wainscoting panels in the Frugal New England Kitchen. One remodeling project led to another, and I got tired of looking at the outdated wallpaper in this old house, it just screamed 70's, 80's and 90's. So I rented a wallpaper steamer and spent the entire weekend steaming off wallpaper with a wallpaper steamer. Everyone's updating their homes with paint and painting techniques - I found some wonderful Martha Stewart paint colors that I'll tell you more about later.

Shepard Pie Casserole


Comfort Food

Meanwhile,  here's an easy recipe for Shepard's Pie that can be made ahead the night before - just pop it in the oven after your projects are done! I like to make this easy casserole dish with Guinness Stout as it adds a nice flavor and cooks out. You don't have to wait for St. Patrick's Day to make this Irish Shepard's Pie! Cook it up for an easy weeknight dinner for your favorite handyman!

Also be sure to serve with my Breadmaker Irish Soda Bread Recipe or traditional Irish Soda Bread recipe 

New England Shepard Pie Recipe




Easy clean-up with my crochet handmade Dish Cloths from my Moomettes Crochet Shop!


Handmade Cotton Dish Cloths Washcloths


Be sure to check out my other dinner favorite recipes such as Pot Roast Shepard Pie and also my  Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore . If you're following a Mediterranean Diet, you can easily adapt this recipe with chicken, turkey burger, and veggies and a sauce of your choice.

New England Shepard Pie with Guinness Stout

1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (ground turkey, ground chicken or ground lamb)
1/3 cup diced onion
1 stalk celery, diced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
1 cup Guinness Stout (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into big chunks
1/4 cup butter or EVOO
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup sour cream (or yogurt)
2 tablespoons chives
1 16-ounce can whole kernel corn
2 16-ounce cans creamed corn
Paprika
Saute Hamburger Ground Beef mixture in large, shallow saute pan.
Meanwhile, cook potatoes in a stockpot with water. Mash and season with butter, milk, sour cream, chives and salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Drain corn, and mix with creamed corn. Layer corn mixture on burger mixture and spread evenly. Layer on mashed potatoes. Sprinkle paprika lightly over top.
Bake for about 20 minutes. Can be frozen for meal prep or freezer meals.

Happy Baking!



Like my Recipes?  Buy me a Bag of Flour


© Frugal New England Kitchen 

Copy Me That