Kraut Chocolate Cake | Sauerkraut Cake | Oktoberfest Cake Recipe

It's Oktoberfest time!  One of my favorite cakes my mom would make when I was growing up used Sauerkraut! You probably would never think of adding it to a cake, but really, this Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake version is absolutely delish! The homemade Mocha Frosting is easy and adds extra flavor.

Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake



 As I'm part Polish, sauerkraut was always a staple in our house, and in many German households too.  Happy Fall - and remember, disclosing the Secret Ingredient to this yummy cake is up to you!

Sauerkraut Favorites


If you love Sauerkraut, be sure to check out my recipe for Sauerkraut Pierogi Filling or Kapusta Soup


Easy cleanup in the Kitchen with Handmade Dish Cloths from Moomettes Shop!


Handmade Cotton Dish Cloths



Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake


I like to make my Kraut cake in a loaf baking pan, but you can make it in any shape of your choice.


Kraut Chocolate Cake

2/3 c. butter

1-1/2 c. sugar

3 eggs

1 tsp. Vanilla

1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa

1/2 c. drained, rinsed, chopped sauerkraut (squeeze all liquid out)

2-1/4 c. sifted flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1 c. water

Cream butter and sugar.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Sift together dry ingredients and add alternately with water to egg mixture.  Fold in sauerkraut.  Turn into 2 greased and floured 8" square or round pans.  Bake at 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack then frost.

Mocha Frosting

1-1/2 c. heavy cream

3 T. sugar

1 T. instant coffee

1 tsp. cocoa

Whip heavy cream with sugar, coffee and unsweetened cocoa until soft peaks form. 


Like my Recipes?  Buy me a Bag of Flour


© Frugal New England Kitchen 


Copy Me That