Fresh Apple Cake With Caramel Sauce

Fall in New England is perhaps my favorite time of year.  While up in Vermont visiting my charming son-in-law's family and I took the grandkids to Stowe for the day.  Along the way we stopped at the Cold Hollow Cider Mill in Waterbury.  After sampling all the baked on-premises apple cider donuts and caramel apples, along with the hot pepper jellies, fresh fall produce and Cabot Vermont Cheddar cheese and crackers, I was hankering to get home and make a good old-fashioned Bundt Apple Cake. There's so many terrific things to do with apples!



Apple Bundt Cake with Caramel Sauce




Fall Desserts


Over the years I've collected from family and friends and tucked away plenty of apple cake recipes.  This is a new one that I've adapted from - Grandgirl's Fresh Apple Cake from Georgia.

Bundt Apple Cake Recipe with Caramel Sauce



Now even though I believe that New England moms and grandmoms can cook up  comfort food as good as anyone else, the gals down South really know how to mix together a cake from scratch!

This is fresh apple cake is considered a poke cake - the caramel sauce saturates the insides of the cake making it sticky and yummy, while the whiskey I've added makes it go down so smoothly on a cool fall night!  The sour cream and coconut that I added supplies  body and texture.


My family enjoyed it so much that I had to make one on Saturday and another for Sunday night dinner!  I inherited my mom's vintage Pyrex nesting mixing bowls and still use them to bake.  They're almost as old as I am - maybe even older!  Do the math! On second thought, maybe not!

Easy clean-up with my crochet Handmade Dish Cloths from my Moomettes Crochet shop for your kitchen decor !

Handmade Cotton Dish Cloths




IOne of my new favorite recipes is this Sourdough Apple Cake which turned out to be a big hit.
f you like caramel check out my recipe for German Caramel Turtle Bars 

Fresh Apple Cake with Caramel Whiskey Sauce

Butter, for greasing bundt pan
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1-1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. cider
3 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. sour cream
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbl. ground cinnamon
1 Tbl. Vanilla Extract
3 c. peeled and finely chopped apples
1 c. shredded coconut
1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
Sauce:
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. Whiskey (ok you can leave this out and substitute cider)
1/4.c. Buttermilk

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Generously grease a tube or Bundt pan

*For the Cake:*
In a large bowl, combine sugar and eggs and beat well. Mix in oil, cider, flour, sour cream, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Mix well. Fold in apples, coconut and nuts.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a tester or toothpick comes out clean, approximately 1-1/2 hours.

Shortly before the cake is done, make the sauce.

*Sauce:*
Melt the butter in a large saucepan. (Large is important, as the mixture doubles in size.) Stir in the sugar, buttermilk/Whiskey mixture, and the baking soda. Bring to a good rolling boil while stirring constantly. Boil for about 1 minute.
After the cake is removed from the oven, poke holes into it with a knife or fork. Pour the sauce completely over the hot cake while it is still in the pan as soon as you remove it from the oven.
Let stand 1 hour, then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.

Like my Recipes?  Buy me a Bag of Flour


© Frugal New England Kitchen 

Copy Me That